It’s not always easy to get kids to eat veggies, but my 3 year old loves chicken soup.
Here’s my quick and easy recipe:
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 box low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 white onion
- 3-4 stalks celery
- 1 large handful baby carrots
- any other veggies you want to add
- 1/3 cup quinoa or any other pasta, rice, or grain that you like
- lemon juice, herbs, salt, pepper to taste
Place the chicken breast, bay leaf, and broth in a large pot.
Turn on the stove to the medium-high setting, allowing the pot to boil.
Chop the vegetables to your desired size and add them to the pot (I like my soup chunky).
Add any pasta, rice, or grain that you like.
Turn the chicken over once the bottom is white.
Cover the pot, and cook the chicken through.
Once the chicken is cooked, it will be easy to break it apart. Shred the chicken into chunks.
Add any flavor ingredients that you like (lemon juice, herbs, etc.).
Cover, and allow the soup to simmer.
The longer the soup cooks the better the flavor. Add water when needed.
Yields at least 4 generous portions. Enjoy!