I had a package of silken tofu in my refrigerator for weeks before I finally decided to try baking it. We were pleasantly surprised by how moist and good this cake tasted because it contains no dairy or egg products. This is a vegan recipe. Also, rather than use a lime glaze (as suggested in the original recipe), I decided to melt chocolate over it – Yum!
Tofu Pound Cake
5 oz. silken tofu, drained
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup vanilla soymilk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat 9×5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Blend tofu, sugar, oil, soymilk and vanilla extract in food processor until smooth. I used my wonderful KitchenAid Immersion Blender.
- Whisk together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl.
- Fold in tofu mixture.
- Pour into loaf pan, and bake 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes, then unmold and cool on wire rack until just warm.
- Melt chocolate of choice in the microwave and pour over warm cake.
- If you would rather use the Lime Glaze from the original recipe, here’s how:
Whisk together 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar and 1 Tbs. lime juice in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle over the top of the cake. Cool cake completely before serving to allow the glaze to set.