I have been looking for foods that Carina has not yet tried. I stumbled upon this Mushroom Barley recipe – two things that Carina has never eaten but that are two of Jonathan’s favorites. Trying it out was a no-brainer.
In my effort to kill two birds with one stone, I used vegetable broth instead of chicken stock so that I could call it a vegan meal too. I also added a little more salt and garlic to our tastes.
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Small Onion, diced
1/4 Tsp Sugar
1 Cup Mushrooms, chopped
2 Garlic Clove, chopped
2 Tsp Salt, divided
1 Cup Pearl Barley, rinsed
3 Cups Vegetable Broth
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar and cook for another 5 minutes or until onions start to caramelize.
- Remove the onions to a plate and add the mushrooms, garlic and 1 tsp salt to the pot. Cook for 3 minutes or until the water from the mushrooms start to evaporate, then remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the vegetable stock into the same pot and bring to a boil, add the barley, 1 tsp salt, reduce to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Add the onions and mushrooms to the pot to combine and cook until heated through.
With 4 servings, I calculated each serving to be about 260 calories.