South Texas Animal Adoption Resource (S.T.A.A.R.)
P.O. Box 6575
Katy, Texas 77491
Katy, Texas is no stranger to abandoned animals. S.T.A.A.R. is a no kill pet center that was founded in 1988 to save dogs and cats. Many pets are available for adoption from this facility. Their website contains a listing with photos of adoptable pets. If a pet in your home is not an option, you can still help by volunteering or donating to this shelter.
Computers, DVD’s, iPods… all great, but don’t forget that the most important tool in your child’s school bag is a library card! The ability to read is key to any child’s academic success. The American Library Association reminds parents this month that a library card is the most important school supply of all. A library also serves as a sanctuary, a safe meeting place, and a place to explore new innovation and the world. In addition to books and computers, libraries offer programs for infants through senior citizens, homework help, job search assistance, and financial information.
ALSO, CHECK OUT OUR BOOK CLUB! This month (September), we are reading Stock Investing for Dummies and Precious Metals Investing for Dummies by Paul Mladjenovic.
Photo Credit: Free Digital Photos
University of Houston System Cinco Ranch (UHSCR)
4242 South Mason Road
Katy, Texas 77450
The University of Houston System Cinco Ranch offers approximately one hundred junior, senior, and graduate level courses leading to more than thirty bachelor’s, master’s, and certificate programs. Established in 1980, UHSCR is a “teaching center.” Its building contains twenty classrooms, computer laboratories, a student lounge, a library, and video conferencing rooms. New programs are always being added. Recently developed is a nursing program and business student internships.
Katy Commerce Center
1773 Westborough Drive
Katy, Texas 77449
The Katy Commerce Center offers solutions for new and established businesses that need space and business services. They have 13,000 square feet of office space and 12,000 square feet of warehouse space for rent, in addition to virtual offices, conference rooms, training rooms and hot sites. They also have on-site management, a receptionist, support staff and logistics. So, if your goal is a new enterprise or expansion of your existing business, Katy Commerce Center can help you.
The heat and humidity in Texas can cause your makeup to run right off your face. Here are five tips to keep you looking cool in the heat!
Five tips for applying makeup in hot, humid Texas weather:
1. Primer. If you live in a hot climate, priming your face before applying makeup should be an essential step in your routine. My favorite face primer is Clean Slate by Tarte. Not only does this primer help your makeup stay in place all day, it is also made with natural ingredients that help smooth fine lines and wrinkles.
Primer should also be used before applying eye makeup. Urban Decay Shadow Primer Potion is a fantastic eye shadow base. Spread a little bit of this primer before applying eye makeup and your shadow will not move all day.
2. Tinted Moisturizer. In this humid climate, most foundations are too heavy. A tinted moisturizer with spf is a great alternative. My favorite tinted moisturizer is Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer with spf 20. This product comes in a wide range of colors, applies smoothly, and lasts all day.
3. Bronzer. Powder bronzer is a good substitute to tanning in the suns harmful rays. Bronzer can help brighten a dull complexion as well as make your cheekbones appear more defined. Laguna Bronzer by Nars Cosmetics gives your skin a beautiful natural glow.
4. Blotting Papers. Blotting papers can be pressed against your skin mid-day to help remove shine and excess oil. Blotting papers help keep your makeup matte without having to reapply powder or foundation. Boscia’s Green Tea Blotting Linens are all natural, preservative-free blotting papers that come in a small container that can fit easily into your purse.
5. Cheek and Lip Stain. In the heat, powder blush and lip stick tend to fade quickly. A stain for your cheeks and lips is a good option. The Cheek Stain by Tarte can be applied over or under makeup on cheeks and lips for color that will last all day.
Katy Culture & Arts Alliance
515-A S Fry Road, Suite 252
Katy, Texas 77450
This is the slogan of the Katy Alliance for Arts and Culture. The mission of this organization is “We collaborate to help establish arts awareness, arts support, arts education, arts viability, and arts availability to all residents of the greater Katy area – City of Katy, bordering neighborhoods, and connected communities.” Membership is open to all and the group holds a monthly Katy Art Mixer. The next Mixer will be held at 6pm on August 19 at the Good To Go restaurant located at 23144C Cinco Ranch Boulevard and it is free. Featured will be artist Marguerite Baldwin with her works entitled, “As Worlds Juxtapose.”